Antisemitism: why evangelicals need to be concerned
- Because Christians should be concerned with combatting all forms of racism
- Because Romans 11 provides a specific theological mandate against antisemitism
- Because some evangelicals are Jewish
- Because we long to see Jewish people recognise Yeshua as their Messiah: however, the antisemitism which has been a feature of the European church for centuries remains a major stumbling block to Jewish people doing just that
- Because antisemitism remains a terrible stain on church history
- Because, historically, societies where antisemitism has flourished have also persecuted evangelicals: the Spanish Inquisition (which arguably, and perhaps ironically, specifically targeted proto-Messianic Jews, here); Nazi Germany, Stalinist Russia, fundamentalist Islam. It doesn't seem to me to be coincidence that the UK has seen an increase both in antisemitism and in opposition to evangelicals in recent years.
As ever comments are appreciated, if only to allay my neurotic fears that no-one is reading my blog and I might be wasting my time...